Friday, January 23, 2009

I wanna be a rhino...


I was in a council leadership meeting with the amazing Mike Davis yesterday... and the group was talking about different stuff and well, Mike was talking about two books that he's been reading that he really wants us to check out because they are pretty amazing and they have transformed his thinking, (the books being The Barbarian Way by Erwin Raphael McManus and Crazy Love by Francis Chan and Danae Yankoski)... anywho... he started to talk about how in The Barbarian Way there is a place where the author talks about how Rhinos and how they run at 30 mph but how they can see only 10 ft in front of them. Jacob Miller did the math for me and that's like the Rhino and see only 1/2 as far in front of him as he is going... like if a Rhino runs 20 feet he can only see 10 ft in front of him by the times he's traveled the 20 feet... the Rhino must trust....He must just chance after the target within his heart...This is just like what God calls us to... at least this is where I am... I know that I'm here... I'm in this place and I'm learning and doing and I can hear God's voice off in the distance somewhere, calling me and YOU to great things and yet I'm being a Pansy Rhino if a rhino at all... I'm taking baby steps if even that asking God to show me ever step that I should take, ever muscle that I should move, ever action that I should do... I want God to show me EXACTLY where I need to be and when but the thing is, God gives us free will, He WANTS us to make our own choices, He WANTS us to learn and grow, TRUSTING Him... the fact is God is most likely (and I say most likely because I'm not God and He can do what He wants...) But God is most likely NOT going to show me or YOU ever step of the way, He is going to call you from where you are right now to where HE wants you to be... He just asks that we become the Rhinos, that we trust and that we run after him, NOT knowing what the future may hold or what not but what is along the way, but knowing that God will not allow us to get off his path without knowing it, he will always be there to gently guide us back to the path but then calling us to something great, to something unknown... but the choice is yours... will you be a timid little pansy rhino... or will you be a strong, trusting Rhino?.............the choice is yours.......

No comments: